This article describes how to configure EdgeSight for NetScaler in NetScaler software release 9.3.
- A NetScaler appliance installed with NetScaler software release 9.3
- HTML Injection feature enabled on the appliance
- Windows Server installed with EdgeSight user interface and Data Collectors
|EdgeSight for NetScaler||Components involved in data collection on the appliance|
|EdgeSight Server||The server with the EdgeSight user interface|
|EdgeSight Data Collector||The server which receive various site metrics from the appliance|
EdgeSight for NetScaler is an agentless application. It is used to track or collect various system and network variables, which can be used to track server, client, or network performance.
What does a NetScaler Appliance do for the EdgeSight Server and how does it help the EdgeSight Data Collector to Collect Data?
In an environment where a NetScaler appliance is load balancing servers; the administrator want to track user experience.
The administrator can configure the HTML Injection feature on the appliance to enable data collection for the EdgeSight Server.
When you configure the HTML Injection feature, two HTML injection component, prebody.js and postbody.js are created. Both the files stored in the /netscaler/htmlinjection/ens directory are part of NetScaler software release 9.0 and later.
After the HTML Injection feature is configured, the client Web browser collects specified data and sends it to the virtual server. The virtual server makes a HTTP callout to the EdgeSight Data Collector posting all the data collected by the script files.
The following data flow diagram describes how EdgeSight for NetScaler works:
Complete the following steps to configure EdgeSight for NetScaler:
- Registering the EdgeSight Server and Data Collector on the Appliance
- Configuring the Policies and Actions for EdgeSight Monitoring
- Binding the EdgeSight Monitoring Policies to a Virtual Server
Registering the EdgeSight Server and Data Collector on the Appliance
Complete the following steps to register the EdgeSight Server and Data Controller on a NetScaler appliance:
- Select the EdgeSight Monitoring from the Configuration utility.
- Click EdgeSight for NetScaler Wizard link, as shown in the following screen shot:
- Click Next.
- Type the EdgeSight UI Server IP.
- Click the Register Appliance link and complete the remaining steps.
- Type the appropriate IP address for the EdgeSight Data Collector.
- Click Next > Finish > Close.
- In the laboratory scenario, the EdgeSight User Interface server and EdgeSight Data Collector have the same IP address. However, if you have more than one Data Collector, add all the EdgeSight Data Collector IP addresses using the Add button.
- If there are multiple EdgeSight Data Collectors, then the data collected by the script is posted to all Data Collector IP addresses.
Configuring the Policies and Actions for EdgeSight Monitoring
Complete the following steps to configure the policies and actions for EdgeSight monitoring:
- Expand EdgeSight Monitoring node.
- Select Actions.
- Select Add and add actions for postbody and prebody scripts, as shown in the following screen shot:
- Select Policies.
- Select Add and add policies for postbody and prebody scripts, as shown in the following screen shot:
Alternatively, you can run the following commands to configure the policies and actions for EdgeSight monitoring:
add filter action Prebody add prebody
add filter action PostBody add postbody
add filter policy prebody -rule “REQ.HTTP.METHOD == GET” -resAction Prebody
add filter policy Postbody -rule “REQ.HTTP.METHOD == GET” -resAction PostBody
set filter prebodyInjection “/netscaler/htmlinjection/ens/prebody.js”
set filter postbodyInjection “/netscaler/htmlinjection/ens/postbody.js”
Note: HTML Injection only works on HTML or text content type.
Binding the EdgeSight Monitoring Policies to a Virtual Server
Complete the following steps to bind the EdgeSight monitoring policies to a virtual server:
- Expand the Load Balancing node.
- Select Virtual Servers node.
- Select the required virtual server.
- Activate the Policies tab.
- Select EdgeSight Monitoring and insert the prebody and postbody policies.
Alternatively, you can run the following commands to bind the EdgeSight monitoring policies to a virtual server:
bind lb vserver HTTP-VIP-3 -policyName prebody -priority 100
bind lb vserver HTTP-VIP-3 -policyName Postbody -priority 101
With this configuration, you can expect to view HTML Injection on GET requests with Content Type: HTML/text on the client side.
In laboratory setup, the load balancing virtual server that receives the HTTP request from the client is 10.217.145.234 and the back end server is 10.217.146.80.