Creating a custom BGInfo configuration
- Download the bginfo.zip file from the same Technet page above
- Extract the bginfo.exe from the .zip to a folder other than startup folder. I use c:utilities.
- Run bginfo.exe and create your customized config
- Save the config using the File > Save Settings menu (put the new .bgi file in the same folder your saved the bfginfo.exe)
- Create a shortcut for the bginfo.exe file
- Right click on the new shortcut and chose Properties
- Change the target field to use the following command line options:
The target field already contains the path to the bginfo.exe. Add the .bgi file name and the timer:0 option
The screenshots to the right show the different command line options and the target field modified in the shortcut properties. Click for larger images.
- Save the shortcut in the same folder with the .exe and .bgi file
- Place a copy of the shortcut in the VM’s Startup folder.
To deploy the custom BGInfo config to multiple Guests or Physical Servers
- Make a gold image template with BGInfo already installed and configured, and deploy your VMs from this template.
- Push BGInfo to multiple guests or physical servers, save the .bgi file to a network share and make sure the BGInfo shortcut uses the correct path. Push the shortcut to the Startup folder of all your VMs.